Reverend D.F. Lowry
January 8, 1881 to August 13, 1977
In Robeson County, located in southeastern North Carolina, it’s hard to come by anyone who hasn’t heard the name Henry Berry Lowry and the Lowry gang. The 19th-century Native American is a cultural icon for the Lumbee population.
His nephew, D.F. Lowry also was to play significant roles in the town of Pembroke, at the University and within the Lumbee Tribe.
In 1905, D.F. Lowry became the first graduate of Croatan Normal College (known today as The University of North Carolina at Pembroke). He also served as the principal of the institution in 1906 and later as a member of the Board of Trustees. The D.F. Lowry Building on the campus, built in 1967 and renovated in 2007, houses the Department of Social Work along with Disability Support Services and the College Opportuniy Program. The building also served as the student center between 1967 ant 1987.
D.F. Lowry was a tireless advocate for recognition of the Lumbee Tribe. In 1952, he led the effort to change the name of the tribe to "Lumbee Indians of North Carolina".
In 1971 D.F. Lowry received the Henry Berry Lowry Memorial Award in recognition of great leadership ability with excellence in a specific area for making worthwhile contributions to the Lumbee Indians and the Lumbee Community.
Reverend D.F. Lowry founded ten Methodist churches and preached at one of them almost every night of the week. His Inspiration is reflected in his writings for sermons and in certain characteristics of the D.F. Lowry House. He conducted daily devotions on local radio programs which made it possible for him to reach all the people in the community.
He was a rural letter carrier from 1919-1949.
D.F. Lowry was a great humanitarian and is revered in the Town of Pembroke, Robeson County, and the State of North Carolina to this day.